We License: Devices and Software
We license VVC Decoders and Encoders (i) in Consumer VVC Products and (ii) used to provide or made available for use through Cloud Based Services.
Royalty rates based on four device categories:
- Mobile Devices (e.g., Mobile Phones, Tablets, Laptop PCs)
- Connected Home and Other Devices (e.g., Set-Top Boxes, Game Consoles, Blu-ray Players, Desktop PCs, non-4K UHD+ TVs, Software, Surveillance Cameras, Conferencing Products, Medical Imaging Products, Digital Signage)
- 4K UHD+ Television/Displays (e.g., UHD-Capable Televisions, Projectors, VR/AR Headsets)
- VVC Content on Digital Media Storage
- Commercial VVC Content stored on physical digital media (e.g., Blu-ray discs, external hard drives)
- Box sets and bundled VVC Content owe a separate royalty for each optical disc
- For other digital media (e.g., video pack) that contains multiple Titles, a royalty is due for each Title
What Patent Rights Are Licensed?
- Advance grants licenses to Licensees only for Licensors’ practiced essential claims in each VVC Product
- The VVC Advance Patent List identifies Licensor patents that include one or more claims found to be essential to the VVC or VSEI Standards by our independent Patent Evaluators
- The VVC Advance Patent List identifies the relevant section(s) of the VVC Standard to which the essential patent claims map
- All essential claims are included in the license grant – even those essential claims in a Licensor’s patents that have not yet been evaluated by our independent Patent Evaluators
Whom Do We License?
Parties that Sell Consumer VVC Products(1):
- Parties that Sell substantially completed devices or software (i.e., ready for sale to an End User), which incorporate one or more VVC decoders and/or VVC encoders
- Parties that (a) provide End Users with access to VVC decoders and/or VVC encoders through the internet or another public or private network, or (b) process content at the End User’s request using VVC decoders and/or VVC encoders where the output is returned to the End User (i.e., Cloud Based Services)
- Parties that Sell (e.g., commercially distribute) VVC Content on Digital Media Storage (Blu-ray discs, external hard drives, etc.) to End Users
We Do NOT License:
We do NOT license/seek royalties for:
- “Commercial Products” primarily intended or marketed to encode or transmit Commercial VVC Content or provide a Cloud Based Service, but excluding any VVC Product installed on a device through which video or images are first recorded or captured (e.g., cameras and camcorders)
- Non-physical VVC Content distribution (e.g., internet streaming, cable, over-the-air broadcast, and satellite)
(1) Access Advance reserves the right to seek licenses from any party infringing VVC Standard essential patents of our Licensors for all their infringing products. Our primary focus, however, is to (1) license parties selling Branded products to End Users directly or through a Chain of Distribution, and (2) OEM’s and other parties that customarily handle licensing obligations in certain market segments.